Forums > Off-topic > FreeBasic TCP library?
Auios
Newborn
Joined 4854 days ago
Last seen 2131 days ago
FreeBasic TCP library?
Posted 3613 days ago
Jatte, this is more of a question for you. What library did you use in FreeBasic for Gods and Idols?

Or did you make your own library.
Basically I want a nice smooth way to get two computers to communicate to each other.

I tried Mysoft's Windows Socket Helper library but I want to explore other libraries.
Jattenalle
Developer
Joined 6087 days ago
Last seen 3 days ago
Re. FreeBasic TCP library?
Posted 3613 days ago
Auios
Jatte, this is more of a question for you. What library did you use in FreeBasic for Gods and Idols?

Or did you make your own library.
Basically I want a nice smooth way to get two computers to communicate to each other.

I tried Mysoft's Windows Socket Helper library but I want to explore other libraries.
I don't use any library for networking, I use sockets directly.
Auios
Newborn
Joined 4854 days ago
Last seen 2131 days ago
Posted 3613 days ago
Wow... I'd like to learn how to do that. I am at that stage of programming ever since you got me into using FreeBasic 4 years ago.

Do you have any kind of learning materials?

Mysoft gave me the basic knowledge on how sockets work, but I did not fully get it.
Jattenalle
Developer
Joined 6087 days ago
Last seen 3 days ago
Posted 3612 days ago
Winsock (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms738545%28v=vs.85%29.aspx) is fairly straight forward but Windows only, or you can use Berkley sockets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_sockets) which are ''cross platform'' (Not supported on all platforms..)

Either way, they both function pretty much the same way.
Once you get the hang of it it's a piece of cake.
The basic low end stuff is the easy bit, it's the code logic on top of it that's hard: How do you handle lag? How do you even detect lag? What is lag? etc.
And you run headfirst into: ''Clientside prediction'' and ''Polymorphic deterministic behaviour'' and other buzzwords that mean nothing in the end ;)

tl;dr:
Use Winsock if you're on Windows, it's easy enough to get started with and any other socket system will work pretty much the same way.
Auios
Newborn
Joined 4854 days ago
Last seen 2131 days ago
Posted 3612 days ago
Thanks. I've been talking to Mysoft about this stuff. He has been teaching me hands on with his WindowsSocket helper library
Forums > Off-topic > FreeBasic TCP library?
Steam Early-access
Gods and Idols
Gods and Idols is copyright © Johannes Pihl 2007-2023, all rights reserved;
Shadowbox.js is © Michael J. I. Jackson;
All other trademarks, logos and copyrights are the property of their respective owners.