Forums > Fan creations > Gods and Idols Literary Competition
Macatord
Newborn
Joined 5134 days ago
Last seen 2587 days ago
Gods and Idols Literary Competition
Posted 4427 days ago
Welcome to the Gods and Idols Literary Competition. The competition is designed to generate more user based lore set in the gods and idols universe. So for the next month you will be able to submit your fan based GaI lore into the Literary Competition and you can win essence prizes.

Before Posting read the rules below.

Rules

1.The fan fiction MUST Prizes

1st: 3000 Essence
2nd: 2500 Essence
3rd: 2000 Essence
4th: 1500 Essence
5th: 1000 Essence

Judges

The Judges are as follows:

Sean Pan: Main Lore writer for GaI (If Sean is unavailable then another Administrator will take his place)

Zetsumei: Administrator and Lore writer

Macatord: Administrator

Each fiction piece that is submitted into the competition shall be given a grade of 1 to 5. Grade 1 is the lowest and Grade 5 is the highest. When each piece of work has been graded by each judge the scores will be totalled up and the five highest scores will be declared the winners.

If there are two that have the same score the judges will get together and and pick the best one.

Example: If two works have a total of 15 points then all the judges shall pick the one they consider is better and that one will get 1st place and the other one will get 2nd place.

Current Entries:

Exists Entry

Thousand Star Fire by zarth

Mineralious: The Documentary by Uncle_PaiPai

New Beginning by EmperorHull

accbar's entry
Something witty and funny
Emperor Hull
Newborn
Joined 4570 days ago
Last seen 3958 days ago
Re. Gods and Idols Literary Competition
Posted 4426 days ago
I always wanted to write a timeline outlining the history of my empire could I do that with heavy reference to 1.x?

Macatord
Newborn
Joined 5134 days ago
Last seen 2587 days ago
Posted 4426 days ago
Emperor Hull
I always wanted to write a timeline outlining the history of my empire could I do that with heavy reference to 1.x?

You could write the timeline of your empire but not with heavy reference to 1.x if you wanted to enter it into the competition.

If you wanted to enter it into the competition it would have to reference 2.x but you could briefly mention the death of the 1.x universe at the hands of the Black Sun. It might be easier to write about creation of an empire from a 2.x perspective as well as you can include details of how your planets came about (via the minigame) and how you shaped them to fit your purposes
zetsumei
Newborn
Joined 5148 days ago
Last seen 3266 days ago
Posted 4426 days ago
I expect to see some great entries! Give me something good to read. :3
extist
Newborn
Joined 4937 days ago
Last seen 2991 days ago
Posted 4426 days ago
Im glad we have a month, Ive been at mine for an hour and I've only got 500 words...
Emperor Hull
Newborn
Joined 4570 days ago
Last seen 3958 days ago
Posted 4425 days ago
Macatord
Emperor Hull

You could write the timeline of your empire but not with heavy reference to 1.x if you wanted to enter it into the competition.

If you wanted to enter it into the competition it would have to reference 2.x but you could briefly mention the death of the 1.x universe at the hands of the Black Sun. It might be easier to write about creation of an empire from a 2.x perspective as well as you can include details of how your planets came about (via the minigame) and how you shaped them to fit your purposes

Awwww darn ):
Okay well I guess I'll write that other idea I had for the competition :) and I can always write the time line history another time
Hahaha haven't had enough adventures in 2.x to warrant a time line

Macatord
Newborn
Joined 5134 days ago
Last seen 2587 days ago
Posted 4425 days ago
I failed to mention something before. You can submit a piece of fan fiction and then keep adding to it during the course of the month. You do not have to write the whole thing out and submit a completed piece all at once.

For example if you were writing a three part piece you could submit parts one, two and three separately...providing they are all under the same thread and are part of the same piece of work.

This will allow you to gain feedback from the general community and also give them something to read over the course of the event as your stories progress. It might even help the judges decide what ones they like as they can take in your fan creations piece by piece.

Only after the end date will posts not be considered relevant

My apologises for not mentioning this before. I had assumed that those wanting to enter would assume they could do it like this rather than submit whole entries.
Zarth
Newborn
Joined 4893 days ago
Last seen 2608 days ago
Posted 4424 days ago
this needs more love.

Guys, write shit!
We are the keepers of history. Everything you have done has been done by you before in the past infinity. We know everything; we can control everything if we desired it. We are the Documenters. We are always watching.
extist
Newborn
Joined 4937 days ago
Last seen 2991 days ago
Posted 4419 days ago
Up to 3,000 is a short-short.
Up to 7,500 is a short story.
From 7,501 to 15,000 is a novelet.
From 15,001 to 40,000 is a novella.
From 40,000 to 60,000 words is a short novel.

I envision writing a small novella. The ''God Reborn'' that Macatord wrote is something like 18-19 thousand words. Which is the region I expect to write.

What size is everyone else thinking of writing?
Uncle PaiPai
Newborn
Joined 4975 days ago
Last seen 2267 days ago
Posted 4419 days ago
extist
Up to 3,000 is a short-short.
Up to 7,500 is a short story.
From 7,501 to 15,000 is a novelet.
From 15,001 to 40,000 is a novella.
From 40,000 to 60,000 words is a short novel.

I envision writing a small novella. The ''God Reborn'' that Macatord wrote is something like 18-19 thousand words. Which is the region I expect to write.

What size is everyone else thinking of writing?

I expect mine to be a short story, will try to avoid being a short-short.
Macatord
Newborn
Joined 5134 days ago
Last seen 2587 days ago
Posted 4411 days ago
Only 15 days left to enter the Competition!!
Macatord
Newborn
Joined 5134 days ago
Last seen 2587 days ago
Posted 4411 days ago
NEW RULE:

NO PLAGIARIZING

Thanks Granty :D
extist
Newborn
Joined 4937 days ago
Last seen 2991 days ago
Posted 4411 days ago
Macatord
NEW RULE: NO PLAGIARIZING

Thanks Granty :D

Don't think about the pink elephant. Whatever you do, don't think about the pink elephant. The one in the corner. DON'T THINK ABOUT THE PINK ELEPHANT!.

Right now all I can think about is the pink elephant. *Extist proceeds to copy and paste large sections of Winnie the Pooh Fanfiction into entry*

Oh and whats hi-jacking?
Moopy
Newborn
Joined 4977 days ago
Last seen 1531 days ago
Posted 4410 days ago
You know whats funny? I wouldn't do this for a school project and i'm actually thinking of doing this. For ESSENCE!!! I have loads of time so i will get to work on this. Not much competition so i should at least place :). Do we get points off for bad grammar and punctuation? I mean it is a literary competition after all :
extist
Newborn
Joined 4937 days ago
Last seen 2991 days ago
Posted 4410 days ago
Moopy
You know whats funny? I wouldn't do this for a school project and i'm actually thinking of doing this. For ESSENCE!!! I have loads of time so i will get to work on this. Not much competition so i should at least place :). Do we get points off for bad grammar and punctuation? I mean it is a literary competition after all :

Just use a word processor or even google chrome which has a spell check.

I would highly reccommend that you have a plot structure before you properly start. Even if its just an event at the end and a vauge idea of how your charecters reach that point. I got nearly 5000 words in before I realised what mine was! I would also reccommend not being to picky about the names of your charecters. I always found it hard to pick names so just use placeholders from random things you have seen or heard recently. Maybe even an ingredient on the back of a cereal box. In time you may even grow to love them as proper names!

I really hope more people enter and soon!

Oh and Im now officially in novelet territory!
Macatord
Newborn
Joined 5134 days ago
Last seen 2587 days ago
Posted 4410 days ago
extist

Don't think about the pink elephant. Whatever you do, don't think about the pink elephant. The one in the corner. DON'T THINK ABOUT THE PINK ELEPHANT!.

Right now all I can think about is the pink elephant. *Extist proceeds to copy and paste large sections of Winnie the Pooh Fanfiction into entry*

Oh and whats hi-jacking?

Hi-jacking is basically commenting on someones thread and changing the topic of conversation as it were away from the thread topic and to something else unrelated.

Also

Current only extist and accbar meet the minimum requirements of being at least one word document page long. All others do not meet this requirement yet. If the other entries, or any new ones do not meet the requirements before the deadline, and things stay as they are then the competition will become null and void and extist and accbar shall receive a part of the prize each, with the rest of the prize becoming void, for actually taking part.
extist
Newborn
Joined 4937 days ago
Last seen 2991 days ago
Posted 4408 days ago
From the looks of it the competition isnt going ahead...

I think Ive lost the will to write till the end.
Uncle PaiPai
Newborn
Joined 4975 days ago
Last seen 2267 days ago
Posted 4398 days ago
Finally, I met the length requirements :D
Sorry for the lack of writing I'v been busy between homework and SWTOR.
Now that the important thing is done, time to do my 6 page paper that is due tomorrow.
But first, some Minecraft, I half to have proper priorities :)
squishynidas
Newborn
Joined 5498 days ago
Last seen 2551 days ago
Posted 4398 days ago
IS mine not acceptable in the competition?
Uncle PaiPai
Newborn
Joined 4975 days ago
Last seen 2267 days ago
Posted 4398 days ago
squishynidas
IS mine not acceptable in the competition?

Sorry but no, it doesn't reach this requirement:

Macatord
6. Minimum writing rules. It must be at least one page of a word document. Anything with large spaces between paragraphs will not be counted or the writer will be asked to add content to it.

QUICK, WRITE TRIPLE TIME!!!!!
squishynidas
Newborn
Joined 5498 days ago
Last seen 2551 days ago
Posted 4398 days ago
What dimensions are being used on this word document?

Blah, I'm getting used to the damned MLA format. I'm going to have to revise my entry and add more stuff to it, because I don't want to extend upon the story considering I am using the 2.x universe. I suppose I could branch into planet creating. I will have to some how end it there, since I want to try to create a story that goes along with the current development.
Uncle PaiPai
Newborn
Joined 4975 days ago
Last seen 2267 days ago
Posted 4397 days ago
squishynidas
What dimensions are being used on this word document?

12pt font, times new roman
squishynidas
Newborn
Joined 5498 days ago
Last seen 2551 days ago
Posted 4397 days ago
Alright, I updated my story. I will probably continue it in the near future, but it is long enough at this time to be accepted into the competition.
Macatord
Newborn
Joined 5134 days ago
Last seen 2587 days ago
Posted 4397 days ago
squishynidas
Alright, I updated my story. I will probably continue it in the near future, but it is long enough at this time to be accepted into the competition.

You have until midnight GMT tonight...so as of this post.. 9 hours and 39 minutes
extist
Newborn
Joined 4937 days ago
Last seen 2991 days ago
Posted 4397 days ago
Macatord
squishynidas

You have until midnight GMT tonight...so as of this post.. 9 hours and 39 minutes

Mines done! Yay!

Though its only about 12,500 words. I never managed to get to Novella territory but I still pretty happy with it.
zetsumei
Newborn
Joined 5148 days ago
Last seen 3266 days ago
Posted 4397 days ago
Got until Midnight GMT before my judging eyes peer through your hard works. Will you pass my scrutiny? We shall see.
Macatord
Newborn
Joined 5134 days ago
Last seen 2587 days ago
Posted 4396 days ago
The Competition is officially over...judging begins.

The Entries that will be judged are as follows:

http://www.godsandidols.com/topic/443/
http://www.godsandidols.com/topic/491/
http://www.godsandidols.com/topic/499/
http://www.godsandidols.com/topic/427/
http://www.godsandidols.com/topic/445/

Only me and Zetsumei will be Judging them.

Winners will be announced later.
Macatord
Newborn
Joined 5134 days ago
Last seen 2587 days ago
Posted 4396 days ago
WINNERS

1st: Extist
2nd: Squishy
3rd: Uncle_PaiPai and Zarth
4th: accbar

Extist wins 3000 essence

Squishy wins 2500 essence

Uncle_PaiPai and Zarth shall share 3rd and 4th place prize and get 1750 essence each

accbar wins 1000 essence

Prizes are being handed out now
Uncle PaiPai
Newborn
Joined 4975 days ago
Last seen 2267 days ago
Posted 4396 days ago
I would like to know some of the reasons why the judges ranked the stories how they did.
Zarth
Newborn
Joined 4893 days ago
Last seen 2608 days ago
Posted 4396 days ago
I should have added more to my story, sadly I had other things taking up my time. Oh well, I'm happy with what I got. :)
We are the keepers of history. Everything you have done has been done by you before in the past infinity. We know everything; we can control everything if we desired it. We are the Documenters. We are always watching.
Emperor Hull
Newborn
Joined 4570 days ago
Last seen 3958 days ago
Posted 4394 days ago
I'm sorry I never finished my story :(
I started writing the second part (the part with the real story), but I just have been so busy that I find it hard to write.

Congratulations to those who won :)
I loved the stories

extist
Newborn
Joined 4937 days ago
Last seen 2991 days ago
Posted 4394 days ago
Maybe there will be a second competition?

If I was to do another 1 I think id stick to just 1 character... I cant believe I found the time to write as much as I did while working full time.
Macatord
Newborn
Joined 5134 days ago
Last seen 2587 days ago
Posted 4393 days ago
extist
Maybe there will be a second competition?

If I was to do another 1 I think id stick to just 1 character... I cant believe I found the time to write as much as I did while working full time.

Possibly but I'd think any further competition should/will be when there is more gameplay elements to hopefully draw a bigger crowd.
Forums > Fan creations > Gods and Idols Literary Competition
Steam Early-access
Gods and Idols
Gods and Idols is copyright © Johannes Pihl 2007-2023, all rights reserved;
Shadowbox.js is © Michael J. I. Jackson;
All other trademarks, logos and copyrights are the property of their respective owners.